All applications for admission to the Dual Language Immersion (DLI) program are accepted online beginning on January 16, 2018. The link to the application form will be publicized on the district website, through PeachJar, on TCSD social media accounts, and by each individual school. On the application, parents may select a first and second choice school to apply for participation in the DLI program.
For the best chance of acceptance into the DLI program, the application must be received no later than March 16, 2018. Students who apply at any time during the initial application window from January 16th to March 16th will have the same opportunity of being enrolled in the DLI program. Lotteries will be held as necessary when the applicants exceed the spots available. Enrollment in the program will be determined by the following factors, in order:
- Native speakers or children of native speakers of the DLI language (A native speaker is someone who has spoken the immersion language as their primary language from earliest childhood.)
- Siblings of students currently enrolled in the school’s DLI program
- Children of teachers in the DLI program
- Lottery of in-boundary students*
- Lottery of out-of-boundary students*
- Last priority will be given to applicants who apply after the March 16, 2018 deadline
* The exact percentages of in-boundary and out-of-boundary students and the total number of students accepted will be determined on an annual basis by the school principal according to school need and space and in consult with district staff.
After Term 2 of second grade, students may only be accepted into the Dual Language Immersion program if they have experience in the native language. An assessment may be required to determine the child’s proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing in the immersion language.
For more information and to apply, go to: TCSD Dual Language Immersion Home Page